Welcome to ww1 FRAGMENTS

Image
ww 1 FRAGMENTS   is  a quiet space where I share small pieces of history from the First World War. Over the past several years, I’ve written or published more than seventeen books about the Great War, each exploring different moments, experiences, voices, and first-person accounts from the conflict— fragments that still resonate more than a century later. Every week, I’ll be posting short passages from my books, occasional photographs, and small historical details that deserve a place of their own. Nothing long or overwhelming—just special moments from the Great War, presented one fragment at a time.   Thank you for visiting my blog. I hope you’ll join me on this quiet journey into yesterday. . . . . . Next time: KILLING FIELDS of WORLD WAR ONE by Cotter Bass.   Never miss a new Post! Scroll down to the lower left sidebar to enter your email address for your FREE subscription. You’ll get every new Post from ww1 FRAGMENTS sent straight to your inb...

ATTACK

OVERVIEW:

ATTACK: An Infantry Subaltern's Impression of July 1st, 1916 by Edward G.D Liveing is a historical account written in the early 20th century. The book provides a vivid depiction of the Battle of the Somme, focusing on one infantry officer's perspective during a specific and harrowing attack on the fortified village of Gommecourt. Through personal reflections and detailed observations, the author conveys the physical and emotional challenges faced by soldiers in the trenches. The narrative follows the author as he recounts the events leading up to and during the attack on July 1, 1916. Intertwined with a sense of anticipation and dread, Liveing describes the chaotic preparations, the steely resolve of his platoon, and the brutal reality of combat as they charge into No Man's Land. As the battle unfolds, Liveing documents the harrowing toll it takes on his men and the overwhelming violence encountered from enemy machine gun fire. Beyond the physical landscape of war, the book also explores themes of fear, camaraderie, and the humanity that persists amid the destruction, painting a poignant portrait of life at the front during World War One. 

The following excerpt from ATTACK is titled 4. TOLL OF ATTACK: 

4.  TOLL OF ATTACK

We climbed the little white road that led through the battery positions, now almost silent, topped the crest, and dipped into Sailly-au-Bois. The village had been very little shelled since the night before and appeared the same as ever, except that the intense traffic that had flowed into it for the past month had ceased. Limbers and lorries had done their work, and the only objects that filled the shell-scarred streets were slow-moving ambulances, little blood-stained groups of "walking wounded," and the troops of a new division moving up into the line.

 

Though we were all in some pain as the ambulance jolted along through the ruts in the side of the road, we felt rather sorry for those poor chaps as they peered inside the car. Our fate was decided; theirs still hung in the balance. How often on the march one had looked back oneself into a passing ambulance and wished, rather shamefully, for a "Blighty" [a wound that was sufficiently serious to merit being shipped home to Britain] one. Sunburned and healthy, they looked as they shouted after us, "Good luck, boys, give our love to Blighty."

 

At the end of the village, the ambulance swung off on a road leading to the left. It must have crossed the track by which my platoon and I went up the night before. At about 11:30 a.m., we arrived at Couin, the headquarters of the First Field Ambulance.

 

A hum of conversation and joking arose from every side, and, with some exceptions, you could not have found a more cheerful gathering anywhere. The immediate strain of battle had passed, and friends meeting friends compared notes of their experiences in the "show." Here, a man with a bandaged arm was talking affectionately to a less fortunate "chum" on a stretcher, asking him if he could do anything for him. It is extraordinary how suffering knits men together and how much sympathy is brought out in a man at the sight of a badly wounded comrade. Yonder by the huts, an orderly assisted a "walking case," shot through the lungs and vomiting blood freely.


Nearby, I recognized E——'s servant of the L—— S—— [sic]. When he had finished giving some tea or water to a friend, I hailed him and asked him if Mr. E—— was hit. Mr. E——, he told me, had been laid up for some days past and had not taken part in the attack. He was, however, going around and writing letters for the men. Would I like to see him? We were fairly good acquaintances, so I said that I would. Presently, he arrived.

 

"Bad luck, old chap. Where have you caught it?" he asked.

 

"In the thigh," I replied.

 

He wrote two postcards home for me, one home and another to relatives, and I did my best to sign them. I remember that on one of them was inscribed, "This is to let you know that   E—— has been caught bending," and wondering what my grandfather, a doctor, would make of that!

 

The sun was beating down on us now, and since, after I had been duly labeled "GSW (gunshot wound) Back," a Medical Staff Officer advised that I would be transferred into the officers' hut; I entered its cooler shades with much gladness.

Captain W---came in soon afterward. In the second line German trench, he had looked over the parados [a bank of earth built behind a trench to protect from attack from the rear or by enfilade fire] to see if any opposition was coming up from the third line trench and had been hit by a machine gun bullet in the shoulder. H---also put in an appearance with a bullet wound in the arm. He had taken a party of walking wounded up to Sailly-au-Bois and got a car. A doctor brought around the familiar old beverage of tea, which, in large quantities and in company with whisky, helped us through many an unpleasant day in the trenches. Captain W---refused it and insisted on having some bread and jam. I took both with much relish and, having appeased an unusually large appetite, got an orderly to wash my face and hands, which were coated with blood.
 
"I dare say you feel as you was gettin' back to civilization again, sir," he said. Much refreshed, and quietly looking at a new number of The Tatler [British magazine and a cultural touchstone in WW1], I certainly felt as if I were, though despite an air ring [sic], the wound was feeling rather uncomfortable. At the end of the hut, two or three poor fellows were dying of stomach wounds. It was a peculiar contrast to hear several men chatting gaily just outside my end of the hut. I could only catch fragments of their conversation, which I give here.
 

"When Mr. A—— gave the order to advance, I went over like a bird."

 

"The effect of the rum, Laddie!"

 

"Mr A—— was going strong too."

 

"What's happened to Mr. A——, do you know?"

 

"Don't know. I didn't see 'im after that."

 

"'E's all right. Saw him just now. Got a wound in the arm."

 

"Good. Isn't the sun fine here? Couldn't want a better morning for an attack, could you?"



The hut was filling rapidly, and the three stomach cases, being quite hopeless, were removed outside. Then a doctor brought in an officer from the K---'s. He was quite dazed and sank full length on a bed, passing his hand across his face and moaning. He was not wounded but had been blown up while engaged in cutting a communication trench across No Man's Land, they told me. It was not long, however, before he recovered his senses sufficiently to walk with help of an ambulance. A padre [military chaplain] entered, supporting a young officer, a far worse case of shell shock, and laid him out on the bed. He had no control over himself and was weeping hysterically.

  "For God's sake, don't let me go back; don't send me back!" he cried.

 

The padre tried to comfort him.

 

"You'll soon be in a nice hospital at the base, old chap, or probably in England."

 

He looked at the padre blankly, not understanding a word that he was saying.



You can find the complete eBook ATTACK by Edward G.D Liveing at: https://tinyurl.com/4xkkpjea

Complete World War One works of author Cotter Bass and Moonshadow Publishing: https://tinyurl.com/4v68wcy8

Complete works of Cotter Bass and Moonshadow Publishing: https://moonshadow-publishing-shop.fourthwall.com

 

Next time: CARRY ON by Coningsby Dawson . . . . .

Never miss a new Post! Scroll down to the lower left sidebar to enter your email address for your FREE subscription. You’ll get every new Post from ww1 FRAGMENTS sent straight to your inbox.

 



Comments

Popular posts from this blog

KILLING FIELDS of WORLD WAR ONE

OVER THE TOP